December is upon us and we are all looking at Christmas break, finals, and GPA. As a Junior, more than ever before your studies, the ACT testing dates, community service activities, and planning and preparing for college is important. But wait I’m only a Junior! I will give you a checklist to help you keep track of what to do to stay on top of your college preparation and planning as the start of second semester quickly approaches.
- Work on staying on track in your classes and keep your grades up.
Even if you’re not at the top of your class, that’s ok. Continual improvement is also important, as colleges love to see upward trends.
- Meet with Mrs. Countryman
Juniors have taken interest inventory tests through career cruising and through 16 career clusters, parents please ask your students what career clusters they are interested in. This will give you and your students ideas on what careers interest them, which will lead into different college choices. Juniors need to set up a time to go over their interest inventory tests with Mrs. Countryman so please ask them or call me about it if you have any questions.
- Taking or retaking the ACT
Majority of Juniors signed up and took the October ACT, ask your student if they are planning on retaking the ACT. Majority of college ACT money start around a 22 ACT and the amount of money increases as your ACT goes up. Also if students are looking at a Kansas Regent Schools (KSU, FHSU, ESU, PSU, WSU) and they don’t meet the 21 ACT OR Graduate in the top 1/3 of your class you can enroll in college courses while you’re in high school, it is also required that you achieve a 2.0 GPA or higher in those courses. University of Kansas has different admission standards please visit admissions.ku.edu for more information. Also visit www.kansasregents.org for more information about Qualified Admissions.
ACT DATES (See Mrs. Countryman for ACT test strategies)
- Feb. 10…. registration date Jan. 12 (RECOMMENDED)
- April 14…registration date March 9 (THIS IS PROM)
- June 9…registration date May 4 (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
- July 14…registration date June 15 (NEW THIS YEAR)
- September, October, or December date for ACT test date but after that you will miss scholarship deadlines. Not saying you can’t still take it but you will miss out on funding.
- Opens Oct. 1 (so Junior Parents you will use THIS YEAR TAX INFORMATION)
- IF you can use the IRS retrieval tool this will help if you get selected for verification.
- December 1 is the Priority Deadline for KSU and KU
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP PRIOROTY DEADLINE IS NOV. 15 AND FINAL DEADLINE is FEB. 15
- Start Evaluating College Options
Find out your class rank, your extracurricular activities, and increase your community service
- Create a College List
- School Size
- Does it have what you are interested in?
- Find 10-20 college that interest you
- Research on their website
- Look for Virtual College Tours
- Take college Visit WITH Parents
- Continue to explore your interests
- Stay involved in extracurricular activities
- Create a college file to stay organized
- Start thinking of Community Service Projects
- Organize and create an academic resume
I will also be using School Way app to communicate and email with you and your student! As always please don’t hesitate to call or email me.
It’s a great day to be a Bulldog!